r/c dis

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Neumann KM (Kick-ass Mic's) 184.

       Whoa. Empty audience, I am...whoa.
Today, I finally gained the confidence to try out my new KM-184's and they are "OVER 9,000!!!". I have been recording live with my amateur MXL mics for years before the KM's; they are actually very functional for the price. But WOW... It's almost as if I have seen the light. I've only had a small chance to work with high-end mics way back while attending Fullerton College. Now owning a pair, I am able to experience the hardware in detail and actually listen to them. I tell ya, It's a whole different experience. At one point I even began to laugh in enjoyment. I demo'd the mic's in stereo; performing a short Legnani Caprice I played this semester. At the first listen, I was amazed with it's detail. Every noise while performing was captured yet, it didn't make the recording sound like crap. In person an instrument makes noise but at a level that makes it pleasing to the ear. However, that doesn't mean you should play sloppy. Low-end mics tend to bring out instrument noise and ruin a recording. The recording was very balanced, no frequency was over powered and simultaneously keeping unwanted frequencies out. I was very happy with the lows. And man, does this thing have range. There is a lot of room for dynamics. I would even go as far to say you can beat the shit out of these mic's... it's an expression... don't beat the shit out of these mic's. You will be sad.
      What I love most about the guitar is it's versatility; not only in genre but in articulation and sound. The intrument has multiple personality disorder. These mics will capture them.

     If only my laptop AC didn't cause interference. I guess I'll have to buy a power conditioner. haha.

                                 (comes in a fancy wood case, two windscreens and two clips)


     As of now, I am perfecting my Repertoire so that I can finally begin to record it. Tis gonna be a fun summer. I love toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment